Do you SHOULD on yourself?
As soon as I made the bed today, I heard this, I should write a blog post today. I should because I usually post on Thursdays and haven’t for awhile…should, should, should! Do you SHOULD on yourself? I’m not sure it ever helps me, but I know I do it.
It’s true, I haven’t been posting blogs with regular rhythm. I recently started a podcast that rolls out every other week and it has been my focus lately. I have loved it. That is why I haven’t been writing as often.
Not to mention, I was on vacation and made a vow to myself, really be on vacation. No writing, no major studying, no blogging, just rest! So since I had pledged myself a break, I took it. I didn’t SHOULD on myself.
While I vacationed on Marco Island I:
- slept in-
- read a book
- walked on the beach- its so good to be outside
- ate loads of cookies- good food for vacation mode
- drank coffee each morning
- took a nap on the boat- plenty of rest was needed
- celebrated a low key Valentine’s Day with beautiful roses from my husband
- watched the sunset
- drove our friend’s electric car to the ice cream shop
- traveled to restaurant via boat
- and didn’t write for my new book or this fresh perspective blog at all.
I didn’t should on myself while in Marco Island. Instead, I was simply present. I tried to be aware of who I was with and be fully connected during the activities and with the people. It worked! But it is a bit humorous, the “back to normal” and the “you’ve gotta get something done” the “should” voice kicked in even before I left the island.
I had gone outside for one last walk in the warmth because I knew I was headed back to a ton of snow in Wisconsin. So I started my NIKE app which had a guided 20 minute run in cue and it started even though I don’t remember if I clicked it. I mean, I don’t normally run, like almost never, but it automatically started and so, I just ran.
I began to listen to the voice of the trainer, “Start slow and listen to your body. Let your body get used to the sound of your breathing and your movements. Go slowly!” I just did what the coach said and ran on the last day of vacation. I was a bit shocked at myself and it felt fabulous. It was a serendipity!
After my run I soaked up as much sun, lying on the dock, as I could for as long as I thought was feasible. I helped clean the house to leave it really nice for the incoming guests and then took a shower. I was hours ahead of schedule. But my brain was no longer on vacation mode so we filmed for an on-line course we’ve had in the works for awhile.
My point? I had quickly turned a corner and SHOULD was back. Full “work mode” and “Get ‘er done!” crept back in. I SHOULD use this time wisely, I thought, I’m clean, dressed, have a tidy environment and I’m headed back to the real world soon. I should get this film project finished.
I was delighted to get it accomplished. It felt great to seize the moment and not have the task looming over me anymore. I was ready to tackle it because I was well rested mentally and physically, emotionally and spiritually from being on a true vacation.
I want to encourage you to listen to the voice ” you should get something done” if you need to. Yep, GO! Do it! But I want to bring a fresh perspective with this thought, maybe you also need to pay attention to the voice letting you know… “I SHOULD rest!” If you haven’t rested in awhile, Go! Do it.
Consider this if you are a bit stressed, worn out or just in need of a break or vacation.
- “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28 ESV
One Scripture asks this question.. What does the LORD require of you, I’ll relate it to all the” SHOULDS” I can hear in a given day or moment.
- But He’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don’t take yourself too seriously- take God seriously. Micah 6:8 the Message
So, If I’m gonna should on myself, according to this, I should act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with my God.
I’d like to invite you to listen to “the real deal” podcast. I’m not going to say you SHOULD but if you want to subscribe, rate and review it. Thanks! I hope it will bless and encourage you, that’s my aim in this blog and for “the real deal” podcast too.
or find “the real deal” podcast on my website:http://rachelinouye.org